Thursday, April 8, 2010

what's the deal!!

I can%26#39;t find a 4 star hotel at a reasonable rate in the city for Dec 2-4. The cheapest I%26#39;ve seen is over 450. Any ideas for a nice hotel at 300-350 a night??



Thanks so much.



what's the deal!!


the hotel roger williams is in a convenient-enough spot and it%26#39;s 3-star, should be around 350. there%26#39;s also carnegie suites; you can see reviews in the hotels section on this site.



what's the deal!!


DM---Are you willing to stay downtown? If so, check out the Millenium Hilton. We%26#39;re staying there in about 2 weeks. When we booked, rates were starting at $305/night. Of course, that%26#39;s the nonrefundable rate and for a lower floor with a Jersey view. If you want a rate that%26#39;s cancelable within 24 hours of your trip, it%26#39;s about $30/night more. Plus, it%26#39;s a 4-diamond property and very near several subway lines.




hotelclub.net appears to have the NY Helmsley for $205/night for those dates. I found out about that site from other posters here but haven%26#39;t used it myself. I do think they buy up blocks of rooms at certain hotels. That price appears to be less than half of other websites. It%26#39;s almost too good to be true. ;) No the hotel is not glamorous but that%26#39;s an amazing price for any hotel on those dates. I%26#39;d grab it.




if downtown is ok check out embassy suites too, it is a hilton brand hotel...well same group we got it for half the price of uptown ones...saved heaps for december!




Try crasigslist. It is a classified ad website that has a section on vacation rentals, apts., short term sublets, etc.



You can post an ad for free.





www.newyork.craigslist.org





Also, Village Voice classifieds:





www.villagevoice.com/classifieds




Definately give the Roger Williams a try its in a great location and better than a lot of 4* hotels I%26#39;ve stayed in.




This is in response to NYwhiz... and whover uses hotelclub.net.







Hotelclub.net does have The Helmsley listed on thier site but I have found out by experience that you must pay attention to the the red/blue %26#39;book%26#39; notation. Red means it is ACTUALLY available. Blue means they will take your credit information then send you a confirmation by email should a room become available.





I didn%26#39;t quite realize this as I was giving out my info and after 10 days (and no confirmation) I noticed there was a message on thier site for me saying that nothing was available. I had to scramble all over again to find a decent rate for Oct.





I%26#39;m sure it is a reputable site... just read ALL the instructions! ;)




Aisling,



Thanks for that info!!!!



I must admit, I hadn%26#39;t noticed that difference when I visited the website the first time. Personally, it seems a more than a little misleading. Instead of BOOK, it should say WAIT_LIST.


I bet more than a few people got taken in by that.




Interestingly Aisling, I was aware of the difference in color and thought red would mean maybe yes/maybe no and blue would mean it%26#39;s available. But you%26#39;re absolutely correct. It%26#39;s only red that gets ';instant confirmation';.

No comments:

Post a Comment