Sunday, April 4, 2010

Bizarre Question about Bikes!

I will be flying from Heathrow to JFK soon and wondered what I would do if I was to buy a bicycle in the city. Is it even possible to transport bikes on a plane to get it home? How would that work? Would I have to pay extra?



Bizarre Question about Bikes!


I think you should contact your airline on this one as only they could give you the definitive answer. Curious why you want to buy in NY? Are prices cheaper or is it a model unavailable in UK?



Bizarre Question about Bikes!


I think thay you%26#39;re almost certainly looking at having to have it shipped over separately. You might like to check with UPS or FedEx as to much they would charge. I would imagine that it would be in the hundreds of dollars but I may be wrong.




I have been looking at some Paul Frank chopper bikes and they only seem to sell them in the US, and dont ship them over here so was just curious about how and if it would be possible. Will have to give American Airlines a call, thanks for your help though!




Thanks, explains the interest.




Tracey, if the bike is in a flat box, you should probably be able to put it through as luggage. You might have to pay an extra fee depending on your airline%26#39;s regulations. I once purchased a pram and sent it back to the UK with a friend who was travelling. It was in an oversized box and she checked it as luggage. They have gotten stricter about sizes though. Check with your airline.




Many bicycle enthusiasts travel the world with their bikes... here are a couple of useful sites:





www.bikeaccess.net/BikeAccess/Airlines.cfm





ibike.org/encouragement/travel/bagregs.htm





http://www.gfonline.org/BikeAccess/







Within the city, you may not take a bicycle on the subway (PATH is OK, though)




Yes, you are indeed allowed to take bicycles on the subway, but you can%26#39;t ride them on the station mezzaines, platforms, or through the pedestrian tunnels, or cops might give you a ticket (not that that%26#39;s ever happened to ME, or anything...)





http://www.mta.info/nyct/safety/bike/





You can also take bikes on the Long Island RR, as long as you pay the $5 for the permit. You must only have one bike per end of car, and yes, they ask to see the permit. Great deal - the permit never expires!





http://www.mta.info/lirr/pubs/bicyclep.htm




Huh. Well, that shows me to believe things my sister tells me! I will be telling her she is *so* allowed to take her bike on the subway today! ;-)



(She lives in Jersey City and is convinced she can only take it on the PATH)

No comments:

Post a Comment