Thursday, April 8, 2010

Amtrak to Niagra?

Hi,



I%26#39;m exploring how to get from New York to the Niagra falls by amtrak. Got some tips from a similar discussion in February05. I would very much appreciate further comments and advice on how to get to the falls by amtrak.



thanks,



Amtrak to Niagra?


Well, I need a little more information to help you. Were are you in New York State? And were exactly do you want to get off? Buffalo? Niagara Falls NY? Or Niagara Falls Ontario? Are you staying on canadain side? Or american? If you just tell me that I can glady help you :-)





- Gecko



Amtrak to Niagra?


i wouldnt use amtrak if i were you, easier to fly or drive. amtrak form nyc to niagara falls isnt on the acela line, totally a waste of time bothering with it.




I am not sure what the acela line is-but I have taken the train from New York Penn station to Niagara Falls and while it is a long trip (I think it was about 8 hours) it is still better than driving-that is just my opinion-and I like a train ride-



I had someone waiting in Niagara falls to pick me up-I am not sure what the cab fares would be from the station to the hotels.



However, having said that, Jet Blue has a low cost one way fare to Buffalo, and sometimes even the major carriers discount this route-it pays to check online.



If you rent a car and drive from NYC it will take around 8 hours and it is probably the best bang for the buck. Plus it really does make sense to have a car when you visit this area, there is so much to see and do that is off the beaten track, and getting around it really easy.




Thanks so much for all your inputs.



The Niagara falls trip is a side trip from our visit to New York. So I guess we will leave from the rail terminus in NY. We will be staying on the US side, so i guess it would be most convenient if we could take the train upto the Niagara falls station.



If I fly to Buffalo, how long a drive will it be to Niagara falls? I would really love to avoid driving as much as possible, time is not an issue with us.



Will very much appreciate further comments, thanks.




Midas





You won%26#39;t have any problems-The train station is really convenient to downtown and depending on where you are staying they may have a shuttle.



Enjoy your stay.




Midas,



I forgot to answer your question:





It is about a 20-25 minute drive from Cheektowaga (where the airport is located) to Niagara Falls.



It is a very easy drive-we do have the typical rush hour traffic early in the morning and at the quitting hour, any other time of the day or on weekends the traffic just moves along.



The advantage to having a vehicle is that we have so much to offer and it is nice to be able to set your own pace.



However sometimes it is just nice to let someone else do the driving-either way you will have a great time.




Midas, I flew into Buffalo with two godsons in July and we caught the Metro bus to Niagara Falls - $5.50 in total for fares and it took about 90 minutes. The downtown bus leaves from just outside baggage collection - ask for a transfer slip. The bus drops you one block from the downtown bus depot and then the Niagara Falls bus leaves from there - it was so easy with 9 and 11 y.o. and what a great saving - I had been quoted $30.00 per person for the shuttle and $65.00 plus tip for a cab.




Thanks so much for your inputs, and especially the bus tip, Helen. We won%26#39;t be lugging around too much luggage, so if we do decide to fly in, we will definitely make use of the bus, thanks a tonne!

No comments:

Post a Comment