Thursday, April 8, 2010

Tuck Shop

I read a recent article here in a Melbourne newspaper written by an ex-pat australian living in NY who said what he missed most about Australia was having a meat pie, but now he doesn%26#39;t miss it as there is a new restaurant/take out called ';Tuck Shop'; which sells aussie meat pies.





My question - does anybody know where this is in Manhattan? We%26#39;d love to see it, just for the fun of it.



Tuck Shop


Tuck Shop



68 E 1st St, New York 10003



Btwn 1st %26amp; 2nd Ave





Phone: 212-979-5200





Check out menu %26amp; prices on www.menupages.com



Tuck Shop


Thanks! I probably should have thought of that since menupages is in my favourites.





Sounds interesting.....all the favourites from Australia - meat pies, sausage rolls, vegemite sangers and dim sims. I could add a few items to their menu though like pasties, monkey faces and fairy bread!




When I visited your beautiful country 2 years ago, I did try kangaroo and emu, that was about as far as I would go (being I don%26#39;t eat a lot of meat, trying the kangaroo was a stretch, although I felt guilty afterwards, especially after seeing them in person). Don%26#39;t get the vegamite,sorry! (LOL).




NYCGirl - Kangaroo and emu are not standard fare in Australia but do feature on some menus. But then again, Vegemite is certainly standard fare and there would not be too many Aussie children who don%26#39;t have it on toast or in sandwiches. I admit that it%26#39;s an acquired taste - sort of like your PBJ sandwiches - we don%26#39;t get that!




I wouldn%26#39;t even contemplate eating Kangaroo or Emu! Yuck, not for me I%26#39;m afraid :-) It%26#39;s definitely not an everyday Australian thing, you will find it on the menu at only a handful of restaurants I%26#39;d imagine. Now Vegemite - I couldn%26#39;t live without it on my toast for breakfast or a sandwich for lunch.





You should go and try the meat pie at Tuck Shop even though they are best eaten whilst watching a game of Aussie Rules Football at the %26#39;G!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment