Tuesday, March 30, 2010

this is how it was (for me)

This site has been pretty helpful so i thought i would share a little.





I went to nyc with three kids of varying ages stayed in the embassy suites did lots of touristy type stuff.





Transfer from JFK was good we got shoe-horned in a normal yellow cab even thouhg were five of us (one was 2 1/2) the despatcher argued with the cab driver on our behalf because we didnt have much luggage by american standards.





Hotel was pretty good i liked the location. We arrived at the weekend and it was very very busy at breakfast and in the managers cocktail hour.





it was pretty close to the subway (ten minutes)





We did a greyline bus tour that ws valid for a 48 hour period which was good not least of which was the fact that we could rest our feet.





Unfortunately some of the guides seem to have decided that having character is the way tio gratuities. character is great for ten or twenty minutes but after an jour or so it grates.





I went with the older kids to an afternoon yankees game and i was surprised how much they enjoyed the spectacle.





We was the bus to get to the museums by central park and the get around to start with.





My kids liked different bits of the moma.





we ate out a lot but in general was disapointed by the standard.





My son insisted on going to Mars 2112. I would not go there again under any circumstances. But holidays are always a compromise.





went to the theatre with pre booked tickets it was pretty good (Spamalot)





I would not wait in the queue at the TKTS in times square. There is one near the fish market but remember that on monday most of the theatres are dark.





In general the most fun was walking about the least was the crowds and some (very few) incredibly rude people.





We all liked walking about and seeing the sites





All in all very enjoyable, My wife and i would like to go without the kids(we can dream) or hope to live long enough to ewave them off.



this is how it was (for me)


Mars had some of the worst food I ever ate in NY. I seriously think McDonald%26#39;s is ten times better. But I guess kids like the spaceship thingies.



this is how it was (for me)


Mars 2112 is definitely kidstuff. For some kids, it is the high point of a NYC experience. I don%26#39;t think I%26#39;ve ever heard the same from an adult.




So, did you like it? Your post was full of mixed messages.




it was great to have the kids with us for a week and to see them enjoy the bits they liked many of which were a surprise to me and i really enjoyed parts of it others not so much. Isnt that like life or are we all supposed to be wildly enthusiastic or terminally depressed.




brusselsboy:



Totally agree with your comment.....I have a friend from your your country, Brussels to be exact, whose take on life is so unlike us Americans, who expect to be happy all of the time. Normally when I travel, there are things that I love, things that I like and things that I don%26#39;t, and for the most part,enjoy most places that I visit. What you say makes perfect sense, to me anyway.





Hopefully you will get to visit again without the kids. I am sure that your experience will be different.





By the way, I live here and hate the crowds myself at times, and have been to Mars2112, great for the kids, not so much for the adults, but I am glad that I went anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment