Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Excellent and Inexpensive Walking Tours

The Municipal Art Society of New York has a number of excellent walking tours in NYC neighborhoods. The tour guides are very knowledgeable about history and architecture in the areas of the tour. Some of the tours are free, most cost $12 a person. Most of the tours do not have to be booked in advance. Just show up at the time and location indicated. Below is the link for the tours through October. Check back for later dates. Many of the tours are repeated each month.





http://www.mas.org/Events/tours.cfm



Excellent and Inexpensive Walking Tours


Thanks, Ken - I%26#39;ve added this site to my Favorites. I notice that there%26#39;s a tour celebrating 100 years of the Staten Island Ferry. They talk about the new ferries which are being introduced. I had heard that, whilst they are a great improvement for commuters, tourists don%26#39;t get the wonderful, unobstructed views of Liberty and Ellis Islands that the old ferries provided. Is this the case do you know?



Excellent and Inexpensive Walking Tours


I still have their original book of walking tours, they%26#39;re wonderful. And I%26#39;ve got the book they used to give you when you were on jury duty that has six or eight downtown walking tours.





Thanks for the link. I like your new picture, too.




I too have bookmarked that link. I did the tour of Grand Central in 2002 and it was brilliant. Our guide was so good, it was something I%26#39;d certainly recommend.




Nic, I don%26#39;t know the answer to your question about the obstructed views on the new ferries but there was an interesting story in the paper about one of the new ferries the other day. The ferry was manufactured in the mid-west (I thing Wisconsin) and brought down to NYC from there by water. Along the way the crew kept being asked if ';they were lost.';



Bettina, thanks for your comment on the picture--I thought it was time for a change.




I like it, Ken! I notice that, in each incarnation of your avatar, you%26#39;re getting closer to the camera. Is there one you%26#39;re keeping in reserve where we can see what you actually look like?




Nic, I only purchased a digital camera relatively recently and have no ';digital'; close-ups. We will have to meet in NY or UK, so you can see the awful reality. Ken




Let%26#39;s face it, Ken, it can%26#39;t be any worse than mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment