Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Tavern on The Green

Have always wanted to eat here. Is it your typical tourist place?



How expensive is it? are we talking over $50 dollars each for a meal plus drinks.



Tavern on The Green


It is a tourist restaurant, would be over $50 for food and drinks and the food is not that great. Go there for a drink.



Tavern on The Green


I went in march , lovely place to go but actually the meal was not that brill, yes it is expensive




Maybe appetizers and a drink. The location is incredible. Ambience great. Well worth a visit. But the meals seem to be mass produced and aren%26#39;t worth the price.




Last summer my sister and I went for lunch. Luncheon specials were pre made and were around $22.00 per person. I thought the meal was delicious as did my sister. Quantity was quite large and beverage and dessert were also included.







It may not have been a 5 star dining experience but the ambiance was beautiful and I thoght it added a nice touch to a beautiful day in the park.




Hey there -



I%26#39;m not much of an NYC expert, but I%26#39;m getting so much help over on the England forums I figured I%26#39;d see if I could give back over here :-)





I went to Tavern on the Green last summer, with my boyfriend. It%26#39;s not cheap but I wouldn%26#39;t say the prices are in the stratosphere either. We went for the pre-theater menu, so it was a fixed menu but the choices were nice. I had no problem with the food.



The location is excellent -- the restaurant itself is interesting too. They have several different rooms - I don%26#39;t remember exactly which one it is but it was large and white with large windows looking out onto an outdoor eating area. I did feel like the tables were a tad bit jammed in there, but that%26#39;s just my opinion.



If cost is an issue, I agree with the other posters who suggest drinks/appetizer.





Hope that helps!




It%26#39;s not a ';typical'; tourist place. It%26#39;s something special to see, but the food is mediocre, IMO.





If you%26#39;re a foodie, explore other options (with atmospheric rooms.)





Check out www.newyork.citysearch, which lets you search restaurants by neighborhood and feature, or www.menupages, which goes by neighborhood and displays the actual menus on screen.





Also, www.chowhound.com is a message board for real foodie types.




The location (in Central Park is great), but I actually find the decor a bit cheesy. Not my cup of tea. Probably means it is great :)




I had also heard that the food was not that great. Last time I was in Cantral Park my husband and I stopped in for a drink and crab cakes. Pretty good cakes and the pear martini that I had was wonderful. It%26#39;s a must see in Manhattan.




That ';white'; room with windows is called the Crystal room as is the most sought after as the views are great and the room sort of twinkles. It%26#39;s also VERY noisy b/c there%26#39;s nothing to absorb the sound. It%26#39;s all glass windows and crystal chandeliers.





I think if you want to go to this place, doing a lunch or maybe pre theater is a good idea. The Boat House, also in Central Park is less expensive with better (but not outstanding) food.





The one place with the best combination of good food and wonderful views/atmoshpere is the River Cafe. But it is in Brooklyn and not in the middle of town. Worth the trip and the expense in most people%26#39;s opinion. Occasionally there%26#39;s a ';foodie'; who yells fowl, but for most, it%26#39;s excellent.




Hi





Yes its a Tourist place (it is not the place to go for a meal if you are a dedicated foodie are looking for fantastic/innovative food) but in the right cercumstances it is an experience - Just manage your expectations before you go!





I took my mother to TOTG in Dec 2004 (sunday 19th Dec) to celebrate her birthday (TOTG was her choice).



I made the Dinner reservation through their website - it was very easy





I set off with significant concerns (due to the negative reviews here %26amp; elsewhere) She really wanted to go otherwise the reviews would have made me change location , since she liked the look of TOTG I duely made the reservation (the trip was to celebrate her birthday so wherever she wanted to go I was happy to accomodate!)





We arrived not sure what to expect - well we walked there from the Essex house hotel %26amp; it started to snow as we arrived so as you can imagine the twinkling lights made it look magical in the snow - we were seated with little delay in the Crystal room - the decor was OTT %26amp; amazing - the chandilers were great %26amp; there was a large christmas tree - all around us families %26amp; friends were enjoying the season - my mother loved the whole experience.





Being from the Uk there are 2 things to bear in mind -



The strong exchange rate means a meal here is not that expensive - so it can be worth the gamble of going to TOTG also because US portions are large (less so in NYC but still large to those from the UK) we did not order an appetiser - Just a main course %26amp; a few cocktails (we could not manage dessert) this made the bill much lower than I had expected. So hey it may be worth a gamble. - I think that a lot of the negative posts relate to it being perceived as sub par for they money paid so with the good exchange rate this will be far less of an issue for you.





Overall I had expected service to be sub par - but it was fine - not great but not poor. I have no regrets having gone to TOTG - you must be realistic with your expectations - it will not be the most fabulous meal of your life - it will be a fine/ok/good/festive meal in a pretty environment.



If you are keen foodies they I would add a word of caution - make sure you are booked into at least one other %26#39;nice%26#39; restaurant beacuse this will not be a gourmet experience %26amp; if TOTG is your only %26#39;special meal%26#39; out you may feel a bit cheated.



Also if you book via their website you can order a birthday cake when you make the reservation.



- If you have any other questions please let me know



LJN


  • nail polish
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment