Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Ladies - winter clothes

I know what to wear as a tourist in New York is a little controversial but I am coming to New York on 28th December for my honeymoon for 6 nights, as all the winter clothes have started coming out in the UK I have started thinking about what to bring with me.



In general what do New Yorkers wear in the Winter especially in the evenings? I am looking for some nice jeans/trousers for the evening and generally warm clothes for the day.



I certainly don%26#39;t mind looking like a tourist but I want to be able to go to bars etc in the evenings without worrying about what I am wearing etc.



Any suggestions would be greatly received.



Thanks



Ladies - winter clothes


In the winter black really is the color of choice. When you鈥檙e in a bar you really have to be careful about where you put your coat because it seems like everyone has a long, black coat. I know lots of people who have picked up the wrong coat at one point or another 鈥?I think that鈥檚 why you see so many faux flowers and vintage pins on women鈥檚 coats.





When I go out to a bar, or restaurant, during the week chances are I鈥檝e just come from work (as have most people). So you鈥檒l see lots of trousers, skirts, tall boots, sweater-sets and button downs 鈥?just think of what you might wear to an office job and you鈥檝e got it. When I go out on the weekends I鈥檒l wear jeans, or wool trousers, and fitted sweater. A friend in the fashion industry assures me that this winter it鈥檚 all about the trouser-jeans (trousers made of denim). Layering is also important 鈥?sometimes it鈥檚 really hot inside and having on a cute tee under that sweater can be a life saver.





As far as shoes 鈥?make sure they鈥檙e sensible first and cute second. The streets and stairs really are very slick and I鈥檝e seen more then one person take a bad fall. Some nicer bars will only let you in if your shoe will take a polish (meaning no sneakers) but that鈥檚 getting rare.





Check out www.dailycandy.com for info on where to shop and upcoming trends.





Check out www.weather.com for average temps 鈥?but the end of Dec. will probably be cold and wet.



Ladies - winter clothes


Hey, no problem.





I have looked at previous years weather around that time and it looks like it will be roughly between 5 degrees to minus 3 degrees, one day in the last couple of years was about 8 degrees. It is likely to snow and rain but based on previous years not great amounts. I get the impression February is the coldest month.



Everything in the UK is suede and with the snow and rain in mind and all the walking we are likely to do I trying to find some shoes/boots that will work in New York and back in the UK.




Thanks for you reply eastcoastgirl. Its great to get some %26#39;insider knowledge%26#39; on these sort of things!




Thanks for you reply eastcoastgirl. Its great to get some %26#39;insider knowledge%26#39; on these sort of things!




Not a problem. I wouldn鈥檛 stress about this 鈥?I think keeping it simple is the best advice. I鈥檝e been sporting the same old tired wool pants, tweed skirts, and black turtle neck sweaters for years and I feel perfectly at ease no matter where I end up for drinks at the end of the day. Have fun planning your trip 鈥?winter in NYC is really wonderful.




Best to bring some basic neutral pieces that you can mix and match. As eastcoastgirl said, black is THE color in NYC. You can dress things up and down with accessories.





If you were going to buy one good thing, I%26#39;d suggest a good pair of black leather pants. They can be worn for anything from very dressy to very casual, they don%26#39;t get dirty ;) and you don%26#39;t have to iron them.




Keep it simple. Take a three skirts/pants, warm blouses or sweaters, casual and dress boots. Include layers of silk longjohns and tops. Add tights. Long wool outercoat, gloves, hat, scarf and you%26#39;re good to go!




I previously visisted in March %26amp; Dec (both were very cold %26amp; there was snow %26amp; serious windchill in Dec)





When planning what to take start with basic black - some great Trousers for the evening (and possibly day as trousers may well keep you warner than Denim) %26amp; a nice skirt with say knee high boots will take you far.





I generally mixed back trousers / skirts with more colourful tops (in the evening) - Any of the fashion tops now instore would work %26amp; liven up a black outfit.





If you have any - Cashmere is a great choice in the day (M %26amp; S %26amp; George are selling it at a great price) - it keeps you warm without bulking you up under your coat.





You will need a ';proper'; Coat (for evening %26amp; day) - Preferably longer length %26amp; black (wool or similar) as this will see you through day or night. Don%26#39;t forget scarfs %26amp; gloves - I bought a great pair of Cashmere lined leather gloves at C21 - at a fraction of the price they would have cost in UK.





If you are a heels person (I am but in NYC I save them for night) then be sure you can comfortably walk in your heels as a previous poster mentions the streets can be slippy %26amp; If your anything like me you will walk %26amp; walk in NYC - also if there is snow/slush or rain it can damage your shoes/boots (eg water will leave white marks on black suede boots)



I like to travel with lots of shoes but am really ruthless when I go to NYC in winter as you just need a great pair of COMFORTABLE walking shoes/boots (flatter the better - and flat boots are now on trend for A/W 2005), I nice pair of (black?) heels for the evening %26amp; a dressy pair of Knee High boots (that you can wear with skirts or under trousers)would be all you need - and if your anything like me you will probably buy a few pairs whilst you are there!





I love to wear my jeans (but in NYC I wore trousers much more) but be warned if there is wind chill, that Denim can feel unbareably cold against your skin - I am in my 20%26#39;s but would recommend you consider some sort of silk underwear/thin termals to go under your clothes (no kidding I was sooo cold in NYC - and I go skiing in NH/VT every year so I am used to the cold) - M %26amp; S sell some great superthin thermals (some just look like a fashion camisole)





Hope that helps




Great advice listed - remeber to layer, layer, layer! It could be 10 below outside, but 80 degrees in some of the shops / restaurants. Practical footwear, especially in the crappy weather is a must. People are required to clear the sidewalks in Manhattan, but if you venture to parts of Brooklyn, most people only shovel a little walkway. Beware of the puddle situation - most are deeper potholes!

No comments:

Post a Comment