Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Advice of NYC experts sought

Advice on proposed itinerary from my new cyber friends appreciated-Bettina you influenced me to appreciate Central Park and I%26#39;ve never even been there, queensboulevard you have great wit, Daisiegee, NYCgirl, broadwaynyc, Maistone Nic have appreciated your positive input to s many on this forum. What will I do when I have no more trips planned to NYC!!!

Loved NYC so much with my family in August I%26#39;m heading back with my 3 girlfriends in October (to let you know our energy level I鈥檒l say in total we are over two centuries though I can claim to be the youngest by a little bit!). Arriving around 1 p.m. on Friday and leaving Sunday around 2 p.m. Took Maidstone Nic鈥檚 advice ( I think it was you!) and found requests from the group which included: see a show, Katz deli, Tenement Museum, shop for knockoffs. So based on that and some of my own desires I mapped the following out to maximize our time.

Friday, October 28

Arrive, head to Times Square, then subway to Lower East Side, Katz, Tenement Museum, check out Chinatown, Little Italy, SoHo, subway to Brooklyn Bridge, rest and ice cream at Ice Cream Factory, walk over Bridge head to Seaport or back to hotel.

Saturday, October 29

Times Square, Rockefeller Center, Fifth Avenue, Central Park, Met Museum, subway back to Times Square TKTS Booth, dinner, hopefully a show

Sunday, October 30

Empire State Building, Grand Central Station, ?????, return home.

Well friends any advice appreciated. Obviously, I want to do all of the above and more but time is limited. Thank you in advance!

Advice of NYC experts sought

Mahj, if you%26#39;ve got the energy to complete Day One then I take my hat off to you!! It%26#39;s extremely ambitious to say the least! My concerns are:

1) You say arrive around 1pm. Where? (Airport, station, hotel). You then need to check in at the hotel (which one by the way?). Why Times Sq. if you%26#39;re going again on the Saturday?

2) Are you planning on eating at Katz?

3) Viewing the Tenement Museum is by guided tour only. Have you booked and, if so, what time and which tour? (Last tour is at 4.30pm)

4) Chinatown - shopping for knock-offs?

5) Little Italy won%26#39;t take long but SoHo could. How long had you budgeted for?

6) Were you wanting to walk the bridge in the daylight?

I think you might like to have a bit of a rethink!

Day Two looks more manageable but be prepared to spend lots of time at any of your destinations. I%26#39;m no expert on buying show tickets but wouldn%26#39;t it make sense to go to TKTS in the morning?

Day Three is a piece of cake (preferably cheese cake from Junior%26#39;s in GCS)! You%26#39;ve also got Bryant Park and the NY Public Library right there although I think the library is closed on Sunday.

Perhaps you could just clarify those points on Day One and we can then see how to squeeze as much in as possible for you.

Advice of NYC experts sought

I share Nic%26#39;s concern about Friday. If you are arriving at 1pm at the airport, it will take at least 1 hour to get to your hotel.

I would switch the seeing the show from Saturday night to Friday night since your hotel is apparently in the Times Square area.

I also wouldn%26#39;t bother with the TKTS booth on Friday. Print out the discount codes from Playbill.com, Theatremania.com, and take them over to the box office and buy your tickets there. Use TKTS only if the show isn%26#39;t offering discounts or if that extra $10-15/ticket breaks the bank for you. Your schedule is tight as is, I wouldn%26#39;t be spending time waiting in lines if I didn%26#39;t have to.

This still leaves alot for Saturday.


I%26#39;m exhausted reading about your first day! Are you staying in Times Square?


Mahj, the lower eastside is predominantly Jewish and closes early on Friday and is mostly closed on Sat. While the Tenement Museum and Katz%26#39;s do stay open, I personally would save those stops for Sunday. I%26#39;d suggest staying midtown and your arrival day and doing your Sat. plan (or part of it) on Friday. Do TS,, Rock Ctr., Fifth Ave. and a show. Agree, see the show on Friday and get tickets ahead of time and save yourselves standing in line.

On Sat. take a water taxi or subway to Brooklyn. Have a walk around Brooklyn Heights, go to Grimaldi%26#39;s and the ice cream factory and then walk the bridge. Go to the Seaport for a sit down and drink. Head to Canal St. for some shopping. Maybe stop back at the hotel to put your purchases away and have a rest. Then head up to the park and the Met which is open til 9.

On Sunday head to Katz%26#39;s deli for breakfast. Then do the Tenement museum. Or reverse and do the museum first if they open early and have lunch at Katz%26#39;s. You might have time for a stop at Grand Central before leaving.

Hope this helps.


If your going to Seaport why not try to get your tickets there, we were in NY 2 weeks ago and got our tickets after having lunch at seaport, we only had to queue for about 10 minutes and there were plenty of choices of shows to see. The last time we were in NY we queued for tickts in Time Square had to wait ages.

Enjoy your trip

Flossie


the thing about the TKTS Seaport is that you can only buy for the next day%26#39;s MATINEE not EVENING performance


When I bought my tickets from seaport I got them for that evenings performance, don%26#39;t know about the next day though.

Flossie

  • arecentinvestment
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment